Tekkit Forums click to switch
Pixelmon Forums currently browsing
Feed the Beast Forums click to switch
Vanilla Forums click to switch

Pixelmon Forums

Pixelmon

Help Choosing a Mega for my team

SteeløRibbsPT

Sup! so im planning to have this team: Sceptile / Garchomp / Gardevoir / Chandelure / Gyarados / Lucario.
But i dont know who should i use as mega pokemon, please help choosing! :D

Bornassassin

Hey there! Your team includes a lot of Pokémon that can mega evolve, so this choice is quite hard to decide. First, let me tell you which Pokémon I would not pick to mega evolve. I would not mega evolve Garchomp or Gyarados. Garchomp's mega evolution is actually on par or weaker than regular Garchomp, so this choice will not get you much value. Additionally, your team is slightly weak to ground type, so a flying type such as Gyarados is quite helpful. However, Gyarados loses this flying typing when they mega evolve, so I would not choose them for your mega evolution either.

This leaves Sceptile, Gardevoir, and Lucario. Of the three I believe Gardevoir and Lucario are the best options. Sceptile would be better used as a support Pokémon for your team, as again, its mega evolution is lack luster. In the end, Gardevoir and Lucario's mega evolutions are both strong, but I would personally choose Gardevoir. Gardevoir is a Fairy type, which is very over powered currently. Gardevoir also has diverse type coverage and can one shot many Pokémon that threaten your weaknesses while mega evolved. Additionally, Lucario is more viable than Gardevoir when not mega evolved.

If you have questions or need more explanations to my decision, please respond to my post or message me with them :)

dalord64

I'll add my stinky little input on this cuz I like to give advice where I can.

Your team seems very well rounded in the typing department, if a little more focused on the offensive side. There's no problem with that, mind ya, but when it comes to offensive teams, what's most important is being able to kill whatever you're up against before they wall you or kill you instead.
First things first, I'm unsure of which server you're a part of (I'm a Diamond inhabitant), but if we're playing off of the National Dex ruleset, Mega Lucario is instantly crossed off for being banned.

Now, for a bit of an in-depth analysis. Right off the bat, you can't afford to have your Gyarados be your chosen Mega. Mega Gyarados is strong, sure, but its ability becomes kind of useless, and Gyarados's natural typing makes for a safe switch-in against Ground types or choice 'mons locked into a Ground type move. Additionally, I would arguably say Gardevoir would make a somewhat okay choice. Don't get me wrong, I love Mega Gardevoir, and there's a lot to love-- 165 base special attack, STAB Hyper Voice, wide movepool-- but Gardevoir, both normal and Mega, is super frail. Anything that outspeeds it will kill it, most likely. If you manage to survive, or happen to outspeed mostly everything on the opponents team, you should have no trouble letting your other party 'mons clean up what's left.

Sceptile is a strange case. It's extremely fast and has enough special attack to probably nuke most things, but its similarly frail like Gardevoir, and its movepool is insanely limited. We're talkin' Energy Ball / Dragon Pulse / Focus Blast / HP Ice, at best. You could make this work, though, because Mega Sceptile's typing pretty much only leaves it susceptible to Ice types and Flying types, but I'd say going with Sceptile is a very high-risk average-reward type of deal.

Now as for my personal recommendation, I'd have to go with Garchomp. I know I'm going against what Bornassassin recommended, but hear me out. Mega Garchomp is an incredibly powerful Mega option, with access to Swords Dance and Scale Shot. These two alone make Mega Garchomp into an unstoppable train of death if your opponent allows you to set it up carefully. Forcing a switch-out on your opponent is a great way to do this. Garchomp is also quite physically bulky (before the whole Scale Shot thing), which can help cover your Gardevoir, Chandelure, and Lucario if it comes down to it, and even acts as a safe switch-in against Electric types. Garchomp also has a very nice movepool, though I'd say Iron Head offers the best protection against Garchomp's counters.

Hope this helps a little bit, and I hope your team building goes smoothly. I'd say try each of the three out and see what ya like best.